Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Event Followup: Women for Hire


 Event Follow up: Women For Hire
On November  3rd , I visited the Hilton  Hotel in Manhattan for the Woman for Hire conference. This program was set up to empower women and also to create employment opportunities for them . As I stepped into the hall, I must confess I have never seen a large number of women gathered in one room like this in my life . I was so fascinated and eager to see how the program was going to turn out . Quickly I began to scan my environment and noticed some big companies such as Johnson and Johnson, TSA, Citizens Bank , Canon, The Rockefeller University,  and the DEA.
I couldn’t wait to start asking question and I was eager to see the purpose of each company and what they plan to achieve today. My first  interview was with Derek from Canon .
Me: Hello Mr. Derek . What are you  doing here today?
Derek: We are here to find new recruits fro our company and also to support this event.
Me: Is your position only for women?
Derek: No, not all . Men are also welcomed but as you can see the room is mostly filled with  women and also this event is for them .
Me: What positions are available?
Derek : We are looking for aspiring photographers and also new designers . This new recruits will be working with our engineers to create new products in the company.
Me: Thank you so much for your time . I appreciate it .
I walked around the room and also eaves dropped on some conversations . I  noticed that majority  of the people there are mothers and some of them even talked about their kids . I got the chance to speak with Lisa , a mother of two girls who was applying for a job at the Rockefeller University.
Me: Hello, it’s such a wonderful day out here  , how do you feel ?
Lisa: I feel so happy because of the opportunity that is being provided to  all women in this room today and I also thank this organization for putting this together.
Me: What jobs are you interested in today ?
Lisa : I mostly interested in the teaching Job at Rockefeller University . I am almost done with school and I would be graduating soon as a professor so I kinda need this job .
Me : So how’s the economy treating and how are you adjusting to it .
Lisa: This economy was what made me to go back to school. I want a solid foundation for my children’s future that’s why I need a better job . I still have a very good paying job but who doesn’t want more cash in their account .
Me: Thank you so much for your time and I wish you luck in all your endeavors .
I also walked  around and observed some seminars that  were taking place . I stopped by one and it was about A job seeker’s perfect pitch by Gretchen Gunn. She described what the perfect pitch was and also gave some advised on how to win your  interviewer’s heart. She talked about  how good body language and  putting  on a smile can make a great effect on your interviewer. I wanted to learn more from this amazing so I cornered her after her last session and asked her some few interesting questions.
Me: Wow, I was so inspired by your words and please could you tell me who you are  ?
Gretchen: My name is Gretchen Gunn and I am the Principal of MGD Services and my job is to get people ready fro job interviews and also I help companies on how to choose the best employee for their company .
Me:  Could you please explain to me what a Job Seeker’s Perfect pitch is ?
Gretchen? Sure , it simply mean s selling your self to your employer. How good can you  differentiate yourself from the pack of other’s that are vying for the same position. You see if people can spend more time to study themselves and figure more about their personality , a lot of people would still be with jobs till now .
Me: What are your requirements before you hire someone ?
Gretchen : I like people who are 100% percent with their personality . If I feel any fakism , the person is no good for me .
Me : Do you think I exhibit any form of Fakism?
Gretchen: Mhmmmm , Nope I don’t think so but I know you’re here just for your project.
Me: Damn , you are really good . Thanks so much for your time .
Before I knew it , It was time for lunch. I could hear a lot of people expressing their feelings about the event . “Wow, this is amazing , I wish my daughter was here” , said one lady in another table . I shared my thoughts with  the people at my table and we all agreed it was a wonderful event and also concluded that more events like this should be hosted and also we should create more awareness in empowering women by creating jobs for them .

No comments:

Post a Comment